You have your ring, you love them they’re beautiful. However over time the original brilliance starts to fade. What do you do to return the piece you love so much back to its original brilliance? I will cover it all in today’s blog! Today I will be talking about how to maintain your ring and keep it as beautiful as the day you got it! I will also cover what NOT to do to your ring to recover its beauty.
Here are some of the things you should NOT do with your ring:
- -Don’t take off in public! You do not want to run the risk of losing it down the sink as you wash your hands or leaving it somewhere.
- -Don’t use harsh cleaners on your ring! When cleaning with harsh chemicals or knowing you may have them on or near your hands; you’re best removing your ring as it can dull the finish of the ring and even dull gemstones such as Emeralds.
- -Don’t let it get TOO dirty! It will make the cleaning process more difficult and may dull the appearance of the stones as light will not get through.
- -Don’t have it resized more than once! During pregnancy women’s hands tend to swell. You may not be able to wear it for a while. However wait at least six months after the baby and you may find it will fit again without a jewelers help. If you cut the band too many times it compromises the integrity.
Here are some of the things to DO with your ring:
- -Do keep your ring clean! To keep your ring sparkling, clean it often to remove lotions, skin oil, and everyday dirt, which cloud the ring. You can soak the ring in warm water and mild dishwashing liquid, and scrub with a soft toothbrush.
- -Do schedule maintenance for the ring with your Jeweler! It is very important to schedule maintenance appointments with your jeweler at least once a year to make sure the prongs are tight, the diamond isn't loose and there are no hairline cracks in the shank. All around maintenance is vital. Also the jeweler can steam clean the ring for you as well which will really make it sparkle!
- -Do take it off sometimes! Working out at the gym, washing dishes, gardening, laundry and other household tasks will put stress on your ring, from stretching the band to loosening the delicate settings. Also I recommend taking them off when hauling heavy luggage as many times this can stress the ring as well.
- -Do store it properly! When not wearing it ensure that it is safe, clean and dry by storing it in a fabric lined jewelry box or a fabric divider so that pieces cannot scratch each other.
Now that you know how to care for your ring, and how not to care for your ring I know that care on your ring will be much less stressful now. If you do proper maintenance on your ring it will last a lifetime and you will never have to worry about it looking shabby or losing stones. I really hoped you enjoyed today’s blog!