One of the questions we hear on a regular basis here at Pompeii3 is, “Can I get my ring appraised.” However, if those same people are asked why they’d like their ring appraised, they’re often unsure. They’ve simply heard that appraisals are important and feel that they need one for their fine fashion jewelry.
To help clear up some of the common misconceptions about fine jewelry appraisals, we’ve assembled a short list of details dealing with getting a ring appraised.
What Is an Appraisal?
An appraisal is an estimation of the value of a piece of property, whether it’s jewelry, art, or even a home. An appraiser is a person knowledgeable in a certain field who can assign a dollar value to an asset.
When it comes to fine jewelry appraisal, a duly licensed and qualified jeweler takes a detailed look at the entire piece of jewelry. The appraiser will take into consideration:
- The metal the jewelry is made from
- The stones that make up the jewelry
- The “4 C’s” of any diamonds (cut, color, clarity, and carat weight)
By taking all of the various components of a handcrafted diamond engagement ring, diamond tennis bracelet, or another piece of fine jewelry into consideration, the jeweler can establish a fair market value. They then record this on an official appraisal certificate.
Do I Need an Appraisal?
Simply put, you don’t need an appraisal with every piece of jewelry that you own. Most jewelry owners have one of two reasons why they desire to have an appraisal done:
- For insurance purposes: If you’d like to insure your jewelry, your insurance company will require you to submit a copy of your appraisal certificate. This will help them calculate the price of your policy, as well as the amount of money you would need to replace the jewelry if it is lost or stolen.
- For peace of mind. Sometimes, customers are concerned about whether or not they got the best deal. In these cases, the judgment of an independent appraiser can help give you peace of mind.
Although there can be other reasons that a jewelry owner would like an official fine jewelry appraisal, these are by far the two most common ones.
Didn’t My Engagement Ring Come With an Appraisal?
Sometimes, engagement rings come with diamond grading cards from organizations like the Gemological Institute of America. These cards list their independent assessment of the cut, color, clarity, and carat weight of a diamond. They also often record the serial number that is sometimes laser-inscribed on the girdle of the diamond.
These diamond grading cards can be a helpful tool for engagement ring buyers, yet they are not an official fine jewelry appraisal. This is because these cards only take into account the center stone of the ring and not the ring as a whole. As such, they cannot give you a true assessment of the total value of a ring.
Can I Get an Appraisal Locally?
Absolutely! Most jewelers in your area will advertise that they can assist you in getting a ring appraised. However, this isn't always your best course of action. There’s a number of reasons for this:
- Expense. Getting an appraisal isn’t free. In fact, jewelers can charge anywhere from $50 to $150 per hour.
- Lack of qualifications. Although many jewelers advertise fine jewelry appraisal services, not all of them are fully qualified. Before leaving your ring with an appraiser, feel free to ask them how long they’ve been appraising jewelry. You can also ask if they’re a member of the American Gem Society.
- Unfair appraisals: Unfortunately, some jewelers harshly appraise fine jewelry and tell the owner that it’s not worth much. Why? Because they use the opportunity to convince you to trade it in for a piece of jewelry they have in stock at their store.
How Does Pompeii3 Handle Appraisals?
We understand that many customers don’t want appraisals with their jewelry, so we don’t include a fine jewelry appraisal with our jewelry to help keep our prices low. However, we also realize that some of our customers want or need an appraisal, so we offer an independent appraisal service for a flat fee. For a cost much lower than your local jeweler, we’ll provide you with an insurance appraisal certificate provided by Standard Diamond Services. The document is recognized by all insurance companies.
By having Pompeii3 handle your fine jewelry appraisals when you purchase one of our rings, necklaces, or earrings, you can have complete peace of mind...all without having to visit your local jewelry store.
You Can Trust Pompeii3
For over 100 years, Pompeii3 has been the trusted jewelry source for thousands of satisfied customers. Because we sell directly to our customers, we’re able to provide the highest-quality jewelry while keeping our prices low. That’s not just a marketing slogan—we stand behind our work. That’s why we offer a 180-day warranty with each piece we sell.
Have questions about fine jewelry appraisals? Contact Pompeii3 for more information. We’re happy to assist you!